Southwest Soup

I am one of many, many thousands of women in the United States today that balances a full-time job and children... as a single Mom. And as any of you moms know, time can be limited. The prospect of cooking dinner every night? That's just a fact I dread facing on an almost-daily basis. Unlike my fabulous grandmother who loved to cook and would offer you something to eat every time you came to visit, I just loathe the work of throwing something together, despite my love for eating. After browsing Pinterest (which I am just as addicted to as my boyfriend is to World of Warcraft), I have decided to create my own blog, dedicated to quick, easy, and cheap recipes for the women of the world who don't like to cook, but love to eat.

And for my kick-off?



Southwest Soup
2 large cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of mexicorn
1 can of pinto beans, drained
1 baking potato, chopped
1 small onion, chopped OR onion powder, to taste (I prefer onion powder)
1 bag of frozen broccoli cuts
1 bag of sliced carrots
2-3 boiled chicken breasts, shredded
1 package of taco seasoning
1/2 cup of white rice, uncooked
1-2 bags of Taco cheese
Tortilla scoops

In a large pot on medium-low heat, mix together the diced tomatoes, mexicorn, pinto beans, potato, onion, broccoli and carrots. Add two large cans of water (just fill the diced tomato cans with water and add). Let this simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.

Meanwhile, boil and shred the chicken. Add to the pot after the 2 hours is up, along with the taco seasoning and rice. Add another 1/2 cup- 1 cup of water. Cook on medium for another 30 minutes. Serve topped with the taco cheese and use the tortilla scoops in place of spoons!

This recipe easily feeds my family of 5 with more than enough leftovers.

Find This On Pinterest!
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/147141112798929397/

Comments

Popular Posts